Monday, January 26, 2009

True Romance

Our romance began in February 1998. I was a bank teller and he was a customer. My first encounter with him was at a bar in November 1997. His first move was to say "hey bank lady". You can imagine I was not very impressed. About three months later he came in the bank and asked me out to dinner. I felt better about his efforts this time around. I accepted giving him my work number. You have to be cautious. We went out later that week. He took me to a nice Japanese restaurant. We were the only people there. We had great conversations. After that night we were never apart. In June of 1998 he and I joined his family for a 13 day sailing trip in the British Virgin Islands. That trip he let me know that he wanted to marry me. All of the islands were beautiful. Anegada was the most wonderful. We had an amazing time there. Everything you could wish for, picturesque beaches, nice people, and a perfect evening atmosphere. Our romance continued to grow and evolve. We moved in together in July. In October he left for a 2 week hunting trip in Montana. I missed him like crazy. Shortly after he returned I turned 21. For my birthday he proposed. He put the ring in my birthday card. We went round and round about how and where we would get married. My parents were divorced and had not seen each other for three years. I was not up for all of the craziness. He and I ultimately decided we would go away to get married. Getting married was simply about our love. What better place to go than Anegada. My dad was more than happy to foot the bill for this one. We were married on February 24th one year after our first date. We spent an amazing week on the island at Anegada Reef Hotel www.anegadareef.com We spent lots of time on the beach and at the bar. The food was out of this world. What an experience. We had a nice reception in the summer of that year. We had a lot of fun over the next three years. In 2001 my daughter was born. Having her intensified our bond. We thought we were complete with three. We never did anything to prevent family growth. In 2004 our son was born. I am so glad to have 2 children. I am thankful for the opportunity to have a son and daughter. My children are best friends. We are a very close family. What would qualify as "normal." After reading this amazing account of the past 10-11 years you can imagine that I would wish to have a special celebration. Any ideas?

1 comment: